Sunday 14 February 2016

I am capable



Women will always be judged for their appearance, there is not a single day when someone doesn’t comment upon my appearance. Whether it is my best friend telling me I look sexy in the new red dress or my aunt complimenting my outfit or bag. When I completed my school studies and entered college I was strictly instructed by everyone to wear something which is subdued and not fashionable. So I wore the best clothes I could afford and tied my hair modestly and had neutral make up. When ever we read or hear about any successful actress, politician and business lady it’s often about their outfit choices and appearances instead of their work or contribution which is hugely disheartening. As a woman, you grow up knowing that at every turn you are being considered on your looks. In our house, we were strongly encouraged towards competing academically rather than for the approval or attention of others for which I am grateful to my parents. During my MBA course we were trained about what to wear and how to be presentable. During the course the girls were given a printed list with what they should wear, what length should one keep her hair, to send the right message across the company. No matter what are my merits as a candidate, what people would see first would determine my worth, and whether I was worthy of their attention – and the job. Everything else seemed secondary.
Stats based on a survey conducted by Nielson India for Nihar Naturals state the following.
a. 69% of men agree that their judgement of women is based on their looks.

b. 64% of women agree that the judgments passed on them have affected their ability to reach their true potential.

c. 70%of women agree that majority of judgments on women are from family members or friends rather than strangers.

d. 72% of women agree that working women face more judgments on their looks or their clothes than housewives.

Women are not ever taken seriously. This sort of judgement and criticism is primarily reserved for women, and it will always be there. We can fight it, and we can make progress – but we can never eradicate it. People love it too much to give up stereotyping. But now this is no longer accepted by us Women. By reducing a woman’s worth down to her appearance, we slyly diminish her role and her value as a contributor to society. People care far too much about how things look, rather than looking at how things are. I’m proud of myself, my job and my achievements. I’m proud of the people I represent and I want them to be proud of me. Women criticize women far too harshly. Far too much attention is paid to people’s appearance, women’s especially. Its time now that women should stop analyzing, just get on with life and enjoy it. Substance is more important than appearance.

“I’m breaking stereotypes based on appearance by sharing my experience for the #IAmCapable activity at BlogAdda in association with Nihar Naturals.”

No comments:

Post a Comment